Thursday, April 25, 2013

I need to know my limits.

Disclaimer: MY THOUGHTS, MY LIFE

I need to stop having dinner with my parents when the brother and the girlfriend are over. It totally exhausts me emotionally and leaves me feeling like shit. My father doesn't realize he does this, but he totally cuts me off mid-sentence to talk about what he wants to talk about, and then will listen to ramblings from the girlfriend of the brother about something as silly as the dog. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but half of me thinks its because both my brother and his girlfriend did WHAT HE DID and FOLLOWED THAT PATH and they just have forgotten how to communicate with me all together because I'm not researching someone's brain at some hoity-toity grad program. I may be jealous, or I may just entirely be an outsider in my own family.

I find it really hard to talk to someone that has not been outside her own country, and has not had to have a real job waiting tables or lifting bricks or doing some kind of manual labor and got into the first grad program she applied to RIGHT AFTER UNDERGRAD. It strikes me that I may be a little bitter, but it also strikes me that I may just be a little beyond all of that. Grow up, and stop seeing only what you want to see. Stop treating me like shit because I followed the path less taken and am better off for it.

My parents don't know what to do with a daughter that was a shut in high school, went to school to be an elementary teacher, dropped that to make $800/month shoveling gravel for the Gulf Coast and then go to Minnesota to make less than that babysitting other people's kids. I didn't use my brain in a way that they wanted to, therefore I'm not worth listening to at the dinner table? They don't know what to do with a daughter that met her boyfriend on the internet and not at an academic institution. So I quit. I quit my family for a while. They always say that you don't choose your family and they choose you.

I choose to be with people that make me happy for once. I choose to be with folks that make me feel good about what I'm doing and don't question it. I don't need to own a home and 2.5 kids and have a job I hate because that is simply what you did and that is what makes one an adult. Let's grow up people. This fall can't come soon enough.

4 comments:

Blubtrflygrl said...

Ugh sorry to hear that you feel like an outsider in your own family. I have similar pangs sometimes, especially with DHs family. Both of his sisters are twice as well off as DH and I will ever be and I don't think they 'get it" a lot of the time.

Jennrose2020 said...

Thanks for the comment. I totally feel you there too. It's like, I made my life decisions based on what made me happy for the time and I will never desire to be rich, just make enough to support basic needs....but I don't think you get it until you do a job where you see what basic needs consist of....

Jennrose2020 said...

It also doesn't help that my brother and his girlfriend make more individually as PhD students than I made my first year of teaching.

Anonymous said...

Mаgnificеnt wеb ѕite. Lots of helpful
info here. I'm sending it to some buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you for your effort!

Here is my web site: official hcg diet plan
My web site :: buy hcg injections