Monday, April 6, 2015

Frustrated

I am not intending to make a political statement with this post. I really am not. I'm simply commenting on the  state of things. So I did my taxes. I qualify (for the second time in my adult life) for food assistance based on my return. I simply made bare minimum and for the first time paid self employment taxes. So my friendly Community Assistance Center in Sandy Springs (they did my taxes for free!) said that they would help me fill out paperwork to use their pantry. I figured it would be nice to stock up on staples (beans, eggs, soups, etc.) I haven't finished the process and will go back tomorrow (what a way to spend spring break, I know!) but peeked into the pantry and saw nothing but bread. Day old bread from grocery stores. I didn't get a full look into the pantry and will tomorrow, but if bread is the only thing I have to choose from this beggar will become a chooser. In our culture it is no longer appropriate to eat like the hunter gatherers we no longer are. I'm not filling up on almost empty calorie bread that will send my blood sugar to spike and make me eat more later....I've simply learned too much about nutrition to do that to my body. I wondered why obesity and diabetes were so rampant in the south...or in my state....now I'm starting to get an idea. Is this they way it is at all Community Assistance Centers? In Minnesota when I was working for $800/month doing service I was given and EBT card and access to the produce section of Cub Foods. I don't understand....

No comments: