Thursday, September 18, 2008

Learning to love my life after AmeriCorps

For the past three weeks, I have been substitute teaching at day care centers around my area as a way to make a few extra dollars while figuring out my next big move. It's not the most glamourous work out there, nor is it the cleanest. I have been spit on, peed on, bitten, clawed, tugged, pooped on, and the list goes on from there. Sure, there are the moments when you get to actually play with children, but those are few and far between. I can't help but think this whole thing would be easier if I just got up and moved to another country. Even if I was working the daycare scene, it would be OK because I would be in FRANCE. Or Spain. Or England. Well, you get the picture.

I've had such a great two years in AmeriCorps it seems like doing this is such a let down from that. I'm not growing or challenging myself in the ways I need to be productive. But at the same time I am in school again, and that feels good.

Does any one have any tips for surviving this transitional stage of my life? What next? Can anyone relate? Share your stories now. Was there a time in your life when you thought you were being stifled creatively in your career? What did you do about it? I'd like to hear from the HUB world about finding your dream job.

Let her rip!

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Uh, yes, I have had that period in my life. It's going on now. I'd sure like to hear this advice as well. GET ON IT, people. ...I'm not yelling at your readers, Art Girl. I am encouraging them...

Anonymous said...

I don't know why but people keep telling me I need to "spend time alone to find myself". I'm not really sure how that's good advice, sine I've been alone most of my life and IT BLOWS!
Wish I had some USEFUL advice. :P