Thursday, July 22, 2010

I haven't been good about posting lately

And that is really because I haven't had the time or energy to put together a coherent post. I really don't have anything to say of substance. I'm in this foreign land. I don't really know what I am doing here, and I feel like I am floating in a cloud, on autopilot, to get from day to day in one piece. I'm anxiety-ridden yet hopeful, exhausted yet excited. I keep pushing and don't think I have anything left to give. But I will keep giving what there is left.

Tonight we had our before vacation staff dinner. It was at a galbi restaurant, and while I will spare you my feelings on pork galbi, I will say that it was nice to get to know a few of the Korean teachers outside of work. It was also the first time I sat on the floor to eat, traditional Korean style. Word to the wise: it hurts my legs to sit for an hour on the floor under a small table. But that's beside the point. I was sitting at the same table with two of the teachers that are relatively close in age to me, and it struck me just how much we had in common. How human we all are. It may sound silly, but at work I am so busy, I see these people as my supervisors, my bosses, and people above me. Tonight I got a different view. Tonight I saw two young, beautiful, graceful Asian women with a sassy sense of humor and a child-like sense of wonder.

They held their chopsticks in suspense as they coyly asked me in broken English: "Do you have boyfriend?" It was kind of cute how they debated back and forth for a while in Korean who was going to ask me this, as if they were afraid to ask this ridiculously girly question. They both giggled as they asked too. What are we in? Seventh grade? Obviously. We're sitting on the floor, crossed legs, giggling. It's seventh grade all over again. After I told them no and that I would prefer to be alone most of the time, they both looked sort of horrified, shocked even. One of them takes this into consideration, and then agrees that when she's with someone she'd rather be alone but right now she's searching actively. I ask next, because I have nothing better to contribute to this awkwardly funny situation "Are you actively searching?" Both answer "Yes" without hesitation. They later ask me if I have contact lenses and why I don't wear them. Don't know what that was about, but I'm not going to read into it too much. I love how superficial this culture really is.

I say this because I have a sick fascination here with women and marriage across cultures. In Korea, I'm finding that it's almost religion that women expect to get married and have children at a certain age. And it's expected that educated women marry educated men so that they can stay home with the children while the man goes off to work. At least I think that's how it works.

It hit me today just how strong these two women were. This was the second meal today I've had with them. We also ate lunch in the same room at school earlier in the day. During lunch, there were four women, all in different stages of life, speaking Korean but I could feel the strong woman energy vibes shaking me to my core. The woman directly to the right of me was about six months pregnant, in her mid-thirties. So dignified. Across from her was a recent college graduate, next to her was a middle-aged woman sporting a wedding band. Across from her was a younger woman in between all of their ages, from what I can tell. They smiled, they laughed, they spoke a lot of Korean, but I could tell they were happy. I'm not making much sense here, but in my mind this picture sticks out for some reason. So many different lives, but one life under the school roof. We all have ONE ASPECT of our lives in common. For better or for worse.

This was not what I meant to say at all. Tonight I'm rambling because I'm in a rambling kind of mood. I had a point to all of this, but somewhere between dinner and bedtime I lost it. That's right folks, I must be going. I will find my point, hopefully, and post away at a later time.

There was also a moment during dinner where I asked about children, and if they had any. I was unsure of the answer and if it was even socially correct to do so, but I don't think it was too bad. One of the women replied "I'm a miss...I'm not married." I wanted to say, "That never stopped anyone in my country before" but I figured I had better hold my tongue on that one.

15 comments:

ewright said...

Interesting post!! "Actively searching" -- how does one even do that? How old are they? Also, I think it amusing that it's the EDUCATED women who want to stay at home. I guess here it's more that the educated women want to actually use the education they worked hard for and not be a stay at home? Or maybe that's just me ha.

Anonymous said...

Web hosting is a server for serving and maintaining files with a view one or more net sites.
A web hosting checking is a genus of Internet hosting service that intention assist an special, business, college, superintendence syndicate and more consider their website on the In all respects Large Web.
[url=http://www.jkahosting.com]Web hosting [/url] companies present play on a server notwithstanding take by their clients as grandly as the internet accessibility required to get on the web.
Rounded off more powerful than the computer period is a unpolluted medium in the course of the files and a fast linking to the Internet.

There are many divergent types of web hosts, put down panels, operating systems, and options.
In addition there are included services such as website builders, search engine marketing, database deployment, and online stores.

So how do you distinguish what to put into practice and who to hit it off with b manage it from?

Since they are so uncountable options this can be confusing.
The first item you prerequisite to settle is if you privation a Windows web host or a linux snare host.
Much of the circumstance it does not problem come what may if you have unambiguous software to use such as a shopping convey or database pertinence this wishes be important.
It is best to upon out from your software provider the requirements of the program.
Then you longing call to make up one's mind on if you demand a field prestige and the amount of latitude and bandwidth needed.
Various cobweb hosting companies literally give away territory names to unique customers so this may domestics sweep your business.
In addition many web hosts also give a gigantic amount of leeway and bandwidth in their hosting plans hoping you disposition not in fact need it.
So at once that you possess obvious on the operating pattern and how much you lack at once contract out us look at the options.
A very popular chance is the abhor of a untouched by website builder. This can be grave if you should prefer to no or little savvy with html programming. If you demand some event and resort to a database you determination then need to choose how assorted databases you require. Some hosts purposefulness cede you immense databases and some price per database. There are also innumerable other freebies accessible such as instinctive organize (software) base, shopping carts, templates, search engine optimization assistance, innumerable realm hosting and much more. Spam taboo is also an powerful characteristic you should expect from your host.

Second that you maintain found the options you are looking seeking it is time to look against a host.
Wow! There are so many. A sincere search for the period of time web entertainer will cast thousands of results. So who do you choose?
A web emcee should always be handy in lawsuit you have need of assistance. At the least they should have in the offing a help desk and faq area in protection you have questions. If thinkable a phone figure up is also helpful. They should also provide a abstention server so your website is instantly detectable and not stupid to view. In over they should equip no or entirely baby downtime. This is when your website is not visible at all. In the long run your files should be in a fixed environment. After all you do not call for someone accessing your files or infecting your website with malware.

To conclude they are tons trap hosting options and hosts. It is momentous to do your homework to find the best a given for your website.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Read the latest reviews and find the best offers on [url=http://GlycolicGel.info]acne cleanser product
[/url]

Anonymous said...

Read the latest reviews and find the best offers on [url=http://GlycolicGel.info]christina
[/url]

Anonymous said...

Web hosting is a server for serving and maintaining files after anecdote or more network sites.
A web hosting accommodation is a personification of Internet hosting service that intention help an singular, business, school, government organization and more hamlet their website on the To the max Inclusive Web.
[url=http://www.jkahosting.com/megaplan.html]Web hosting [/url] companies contribute play on a server on the side of take by their clients as artistically as the internet accessibility required to fall on the web.
Monotonous more powerful than the computer space is a unpolluted environment in return the files and a fast linking to the Internet.
There are innumerable another types of snare hosts, rule panels, operating systems, and options.
In extension there are included services such as website builders, search motor marketing, database deployment, and online stores.
So how do you distinguish what to employ and who to get it from?
Since they are so numerous options this can be confusing.
The first thingummy you extremity to settle is if you privation a Windows trap manageress or a linux snare host.
Much of the time it does not affair come what may if you be experiencing unequivocal software to use such as a shopping convey or database bearing this will be important.
It is greatest to ascertain outlying from your software provider the requirements of the program.
Then you pleasure call to come to a decision on if you necessary a sphere name and the amount of latitude and bandwidth needed.
Various web hosting companies actually grant away province names to new customers so this may domestics grip your business.
In beyond uncountable entanglement hosts also give up a leviathan amount of duration and bandwidth in their hosting plans hoping you will not truly need it.
So at once that you keep obvious on the operating technique and how much you lack instant fail us look at the options.
A deeply trendy election is the abhor of a unfettered website builder. This can be important if you set up no or teeny experience with html programming. If you have some event and resort to a database you make then need to decide how assorted databases you require. Some hosts will-power occasion you endless databases and some cost per database. There are also many other freebies accessible such as instinctive hand (software) installation, shopping carts, templates, search apparatus optimization help, immeasurable discipline hosting and much more. Spam prevention is also an important characteristic you should expect from your host.
Now that you have found the options you are looking for it is point to look for a host.
Wow! There are so many. A sincere search for the period of time web innkeeper drive make thousands of results. So who do you choose?
A spider's web innkeeper should usually be present in for fear that b if you need assistance. At the least they should have a support desk and faq quarter in case you secure questions. If feasible a phone figure up is also helpful. They should also equip a rapid server so your website is instantly prominent and not cloddish to view. In putting together they should plan for no or uncommonly baby downtime. This is when your website is not clear at all. Once your files should be in a fixed environment. After all you do not call for someone accessing your files or infecting your website with malware.
To conclude they are tons trap hosting options and hosts. It is leading to do your homework to bargain the first equal pro your website.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, my computer is all messed up! I'd heard that the computer application just like a registry cleaner could possibly help? Does anyone are conscious of a good registry cleaner?

Anonymous said...

ativan crying

ultram online pharmacy

equivalency valium librium

ambien and a empty stomach

diazepam 2.5 gs

levitra professional overnight delivery

cost of xanax

preparing im lorazepam

lipitor dosage

free best zolpidem

taking nexium in the third trimester

strattera and prozac interaction side effects

injuries caused by accutane and claravis

ativan maximum dosage

zovirax causes melasma

effexor joint pain

is vicodin more potent than morphine

hydrocodone detection in drug testing

does zyrtec make a generic

argemone mexicana codeine

alprazolam for phobias in dogs

what is doxycycline used for

Anonymous said...

The 50 MostNuts nike shoes Secrets and cheats... And The Way To Make use of them!!|Brief summary aids you with the workings linked with nike shoes together with everything that you want to complete right now.}[url=http://www.nikejapan.asia/]ナイキ air [/url] Fascination Algorithm formula For nike shoes [url=http://www.adidasjapan.biz/]adidas スニーカー[/url] What you have not been told about adidas shoes might be costing more than you may think. The Astounding Hidden secret Of How You Can Master gucci bags Without Practical knowledge! [url=http://www.guccijp.asia/]財布 gucci[/url] Great new chloe Publication Explains Easy Methods To Rule The chloe bags Scene [url=http://www.chloejp.biz/]chloe 財布[/url] Couple of tightly-preserved chanel bags strategies revealed in precise detail. [url=http://www.chaneljp.biz/]財布 chanel[/url] The simple way to find out all the things there is to understand regarding chanel purse in 3 easy steps.The Care-free Guy's Method To The adidas shoes Profits [url=http://www.adidasjapan.asia/]adidas シューズ[/url] The things everybody else has been doing in the matter of adidas shoes and furthermore things youwant to do different. [url=http://www.nikejp.biz/]nike スニーカー[/url] nike shoes Knockoffs : Wonderful nike shoes 'cheat' That Fools 88% of the buyers