Friday, July 9, 2010

Minnesota Legend Strikes Again

I was talking with one of the Korean teachers tonight after work (I was supposed to be doing my Kindergarten lesson plan for next week but that's beside the point) and we got to the subject of where I'm from. When I told her I lived in Minnesota for three years, she promptly asked me "Are there a lot of big, strong men in Minnesota?" Uh? How does one respond to this? I guess so? I then realized after some charades playing that she must have been talking about none other than Paul Bunyan. Yes, he's from Minnesota. Yes, he's a legend. What's a legend? A story? Oh I love explaining things in broken, half right English. "He's a story? Made up?" She was shocked. Hate to burst your bubble there, but yeah, we call it a tall tale in the States. "Yeah, he was very tall." She replies. What do I say to that? So yeah, there's a lot of explaining to do. There's a lot that gets lost. And so begins my life. I just had to share this little interaction. I thought it was mildly amusing.

Upshot? I finished week SEVEN. Wow.

1 comment:

Blubtrflygrl said...

That is freakin' hysterical.