Sunday, November 7, 2010

UPDATE: I have a lot of thinking to do here.

Here are some of my thoughts so far:

Feel free to chime in if you have something constructive to add.

The idea that the certificate is internationally accepted is the main appeal. As I stated on my blog, the allure of the training is that I would do it in London, at the original Maria Montessori Institute.

Since coming to Korea, I have gotten a bit of the "travel bug." The idea of going back to the US right now with the economy still in the shitter is not alluring, and I am struggling to come up with things to do after my contract is up here.

It's been an interesting six months so far, and I know it will be an interesting six more, but I don't think I can do another year, and I'm starting to stress about what comes next.

The idea of grabbing just "any other teaching job" I can find (IF I CAN EVEN FIND ONE) is not appealing to me any more. I've been there and done that.

But like you said, the idea of shelling out 10K is not appealing especially when I know job opportunities are limited.

I do eventually want to open my own school or learning institute for young children. I was incredibly inspired by my internship at the Children's Museum in Charleston, SC and would like to eventually be doing something similar in the future, but the reality is unless you own a business like that or have shelled out 1000s for training that life is JUST NOT SUSTAINABLE (unless you are independently wealthy already) and let's face it, none of us really are.

I know Montessori attracts a certain audience, I don't know also if I'm willing to work with that audience.

So bottom line is, I guess I still have a lot of thinking to do on the subject.

I know I want to spend a few more years (at least) abroad.

I don't want to go back to the states just yet. I just don't want to spend another year in Korea. The idea of London or Australia is appealing because of the language non-barrier. Many of my stresses and struggles this year have been with the language.

I have thought about the peace corps and have started an application there.

I have applied to several independent private schools for children with developmental disabilities back home, in the US.

I'm just so confused, all over again. I should have all of this figured out after 29 years of age. LOL.

I know from experience (as this is my primary field since undergrad) that any private school, as wordsmith said, is going to have their own set of requirements for what they want their teachers to have and to know.

I also know that I vary greatly about what I believe and like to pick and choose from a host of philosophies based on the children in any given classroom. I know I don't agree with the traditional public school approach and was miserable teaching in that setting for the four years I did it. Montessori is the closest set of beliefs that match my own about educating children, but I know they are not the only ones and I don't really subscribe to "total free choice" in learning either. I also don't really like the idea of being at a parents' beck and call which is what private school essentially turns into, or that's what I'm finding out this year. I know any job is just a job and that I'm eventually going to just have to suck it up and get a job somewhere and deal with it, but I would like to settle in someplace I can remotely live with for more than a year.

I have done a fair amount of research, and all of the alternative methods seem to be in schools with severely developmentally disabled children. While I love helping people and enjoy teaching, I don't think that's the population I would choose to work with for a career. Props to those who do it. I have friends and family members who do and love it. I just don't think it's for me. I've worked with a few children with autism and it just didn't feel right for me at the time.

I would like to apply the Montessori method and teachings with upper elementary students. Supposedly, Ms. Montessori's research spans children ages birth through 14. But it's only ever used (at least in the states) from what I've observed and researched, with preschool and kindergarten aged students. I know from experience that I connect the best with and am most comfortable teaching the upper elementary grades. I loved my fourth and fifth grade reading groups and such and hate the traditional read and answer comprehension question classroom models that are so widely used.

But I just haven't come across any schools that implement this with relatively on track, developmentally typical, nine and ten year old children.

It just doesn't happen. Or those jobs are taken and the teachers don't leave until they retire and then are replaced by their nieces and nephews. It's always something.

Sorry for the ranting. I will figure this whole thing out. I swear, this teaching thing has been the core of my QLC for at least ten years now. ARG.

I just want to have SOME DIRECTION IN LIFE. You know? Who here agrees with me?

Again, feed back would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

JQ said...

I agree about the wanting direction in life. But I can't at all help you figure out what yours should be...I'm too busy wrestling with mine. Good luck on that!

Valerie said...

Too much pressure, my dear! I'll be in Australia in a week's time. The visa for working for up to a year, 2 6 month or shorter jobs is super easy to get if you're under 30. Welcome, fellow independent woman of the world!

Anonymous said...

Thanks For blog with valuable informations.