Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Another Blast from the Past Post

Because that’s what I’m good at lately. Looking back at journals and writing what I wrote before. This one from July 11, 2006. We can learn something from history, if our minds are open enough. This day was my first day of my first AmeriCorps program.
I’m here. Nothing very exciting yet though apparently I’m so tired I can’t even get the right endings on my verbs. My room looks like college part II, though I think these rooms are in slightly worse condition than Creswell Hall’s if that’s at all possible. Ha! My room mate hasn’t actually shown up yet, so for tonight I have the room entirely to myself. Which is nice. I had a nice time unpacking and fixing things while listening to music on my mp3 player. Its sort of like summer camp. I met my team leader, and she seems sweet and smart. A bit on the energetic side, but I guess that’s what one wants in a team leader. My feet HURT from the day. I wore my cheap flats with my skirt, and they absolutely tore my feet apart entirely. So for the first couple of hours I’m here I was kinda glazed over. I’m also trying to remember to take this experience ONE day at a time and not get ahead of myself or too worried about events too far in advance. I introduced myself to my team today as almost OCD organized. And them later in the meeting someone asked for the address and I just shot it out. And some guy on the team said “were giving everything to her to remember from now on” (or something to that effect). Which made me feel good to know that my neurotic tendencies might actually be put to good use and appreciated here. Maybe. Flight here was delayed, so we didn’t actually get here til 6:30ish, giving us enough time to throw luggage in room and grab a PBJ for dinner and get on to meetings. Met several nice folks at the airport, but I haven’t actually seen them since stepping off the van. Tomorrow is a long day of intro stuff, and I’m really tired and would like to read my magazine before drifting off to sleep, so I think I will sign off and revisit feelings tomorrow, whenever. (I’m loving this new journal!) It actually had lines! And while I am aware that I still have some of my sketchbook to finish off, I’ll be doing most of my WRITING longhand in here for obvious reasons. I may be flipping back and forth between the two out of guilt and OCD need to finish one journal before starting another. Is it too soon to tell if I’m the loner yet? I have such loner tendencies, I don’t want them, but I fear I’m going to develop them and fall into the same patterns I’m sued to. Must remember to take life one day at a time. Indeed. Signing off for the night! Goodnight!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Neat! I have been an avid journal keeper since 9th grade and it is always interesting to go back and see old entries.