Saturday, April 24, 2010

Some things I know

1. My documents for my E2 teaching visa were sent out yesterday. Did you know it cost $72 dollars to send a light package via FEDEX to South Korea? That's not even the express! It will still take 6 days to get there. This shocked me, but at the same time, it's a huge load off my mind. Now I'm just waiting for my Visa Issuance Number so I can go forward with the process.

2. I have one more week at work. I've said most of my goodbyes already, and it's been really hard to leave. At the same time though, it's been really exciting and I'm looking forward to an opportunity for a fresh start.

3. Korean characters are really difficult to draw. I've been trying to teach myself basic Korean, and it's not going well. I'm hoping that it will become easier when I'm over there and I can actually use it and hear it in context, but until then I'm just going to keep watching video lessons on YouTube.

4. I haven't written anything of substance for a long time. As much as I wanted to get back into writing, and as much as I've told myself I'd keep going to writing groups, I just haven't done it. This frustrates me. I do have something I want to say, I just don't know how exactly to say it.

5. I hate packing. Although, I've been really good about keeping stuff down to a minimum this year. I realize that I've lived in three different residences in three years and every time I go to pack, it just makes me realize how silly all of my little stuff is. I already occupy enough of the planet with my space, I don't need a closet full of clothing I don't wear to go with it. I've made several trips to good will thus far, and I will make several more before I leave. I am still proud to announce that everything I own can be lifted and fit into my car, and I own a Mazda. That's impressive.

6. I will definitely keep posting from Korea. It has been asked several times from readers. I am confident I will have more interesting things to post about from another country. I'm not sure what tone it will take, but that will have to be determined when I get there. I know I'm in for some culture shock, so I'm sure I'll blog about that. I know I'm in for some food shocks, so I'll probably blog about that. As for anything else, we shall just wait and see. Surprises are good, no?

1 comment:

sutina said...

Hey! I found you.

The Korean alphabet is GENIUS and not very hard once you understand the reasoning behind it. Actually speaking and understanding is a different story, but yeah, the alphabet is pretty easy. I would love to show you, but you're going to be there soon anyway.

Write lots! I definitely regretted not writing a journal during my time.

Take care,
Sutina