Sunday, June 20, 2010

It's the little things

I've been finding myself getting annoyed at the little things lately. Just the everyday annoyances of living in a culture so different than my own. This is an entirely normal state of culture shock, or so I'm told. I'm in the one-month mark, so I suppose this is a normal place to be. I'm annoyed by the fact that I can't read the ingredients in anything I eat because it's all in Korean. (I used to think it's cool; now it's a hassle.) I'm annoyed by the fact that I get sneers and jeers on the subway because I am a white person. I am annoyed by the fact that I can't drink the water from the tap even though I am in a modern high-tech town. The list goes on. Tonight though, I come to you with the news that I am thrilled that I figured out how to work my new adapter/voltage plug so that I can charge my camera's battery. I haven't been able to do this in three weeks and it finally came (thanks, Mom!) It's the little things like that I take pleasure in. I shouldn't be so excited, but I really am. I'm excited that I can finally distinguish the six basic Korean vowels, even if I can't pronounce them. It's the little things people. Now I'm off to make a play list for what I hope will be my run tomorrow evening. I should be sleeping, it's after midnight, but I am awake because I slept later this morning. Good thing I don't have to be at work until 10! Woo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know someone is reading! I think I found this blog through MySpace or Facebook or some such thing, or maybe I'm just a stalker. :) I admire you for doing this--it seems so tough but I'm sure it will be so rewarding as the days go by. I completely understand how you're feeling and I hope the little things become easier and less hassle-y as you get more acclimated. Chin up, Jen!
(from alisongootee)