Monday, March 17, 2008

The Namesake

My newest Netflix find, and an absolute gem. I know I should have read the book first, but to that I say, "meh." Absolutely beautiful, although I don't know how politically and culturally accurate it is; I found myself crying all the way through. And now I have this strange fascination with Nikolai Gogol, as in, I want to read some stuff he's written. Something tells me that I won't be able to understand it, but I want to try. So if anyone reading this post wants to recommend some Gogol, go for it and leave me a comment.

Speaking of finds, I found Educating Esme: Dairy of a Teacher's First Year in the $2 bin at the central library last week and it's a gem as well. So thoughtful, funny, candid, and heartbreaking all at once. It makes you just want to go up to Esme and hug her, and tel her that she's wonderful and to not stop doing what she's doing. Anyone who is considering teaching (or currently teaching for that matter) should read it.

I think that is all for now.

No comments: