Monday, February 17, 2014

Clinical Methods Journal Entry 1 Draft

     I received my assignment, clinician, client, and supervisor and can honestly say that I am excited to begin this leg of my journey as a speech language pathology student. It will be exciting to take a step back from my position as a graduate clinician with virtually no preparation into a role where I can watch and learn while doing. My assignment is a 47-year-old male with a diagnosis of anomic aphasia and dysarthria. I immediately start thinking about my neural bases of speech and language course last semester and everything I learned about upper motor neurons and damage to the brain. I want to know so much about how this was sustained, if there was a stroke involved and how long this individual has been in therapy. I learned from reading the file that this is an individual who lives independently in Stillwater. He has been in therapy at the university clinic for eight semesters and. He is a Korean man adopted at age 7 to American parents. I instantly thought about culture and wanted to ask so many questions about culture and background without sounding “nosy.” After all, it is a part of my professional duties. I learned from chatting with my graduate clinician, Kristin Van Ostran, that he doesn’t retain much of the Korean culture because American parents in Oklahoma raised him. I learned that he was a product of the special education system as a youth and has learned how to cope with being an adult and thrive on the job (he works as a bus boy at the country club in Stillwater). On the day of my first observation I meet Ms. Payne in the observation room and she is always so encouraging. She mentions that this client will be a good one for me to work with and will give me many new experiences.


No comments: