Monday, February 17, 2014

Therapy notes, not necessarily data -- subjective

I need to get better about cuing; I know this. It seems so easy yet so difficult in practice. I know exactly what I am going to say in my head yet it comes out so so wrong out loud. Either that or its the confidence factor. Cognitive therapy isn't hard, but it's hard knowing when to cue and when to shut your mouth as a clinician and let the client think about what he wants to say. Because you know he has it in there somewhere and you know it will get up and out eventually but you only have 50 minutes a session. The clinician I am working with is super at it, either that or she seems super. I just tie myself in knots with the decisions I make in the spur of the moment and then invalidate my data because I didn't think that my cueing was accurate. If it doesn't make sense, then I can't count it wrong, right? This seems silly and maybe I am over-thinking it too much. I do like working with the older population and do enjoy cognitive therapy. I do enjoy research too. So maybe, I was thinking, I need to do the route of an SLP-A that works in a university and does research? Is that a thing?

No comments: