Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The following is from a letter I wrote earlier today...

I thought it would make a neat life update this week.

...I'm still enjoying the AmeriCorps gig in Minnesota...but I am currently looking for something a little more challenging and, well, I'm a girl of practical means, so PROFITABLE. I've had it (up to here) with national service after nearly two years. I love it, but I just feel like I've done my time. I don't want to loose my ability to explore different careers and regions of the U.S./World, but I think it's time to get serious about life/work.

That requires making a commitment, which requires making a decision. All of these things require confidence. Scary scary scary stuff. I've gotten more, and recouped from that tragic Georgia teaching incident, but something like that sticks with a person. I have learned that I don't really want to work in a school. I needed this experience to tell me that, right? Work with great teachers, and seriously smart, talented, sweet kids. Love the kids, hate the environment. So many other factors involved, in that decision, but I think it's the right one for me right now. So I'm looking elsewhere.

I think I recall telling you I had a non-paid museum internship after my first year of service. I loved that, so I began looking for museum jobs up here. I'm applying for this one:


#2007-2052 TEACHER/INSTRUCTOR , Education. Occasional/Non-Exempt (10-20 hrs/wk). EEO 2. Develop and teach science enrichment classes and camps at the Science Museum. Resumes are currently being accepted for school year and/or summer positions. Responsibilities: Plan, prepare, and present science lessons at the museum. Requirements: BA/BS and teaching license in science or education. Minimum of 25 science credits or related experiences/demonstrated knowledge of science content. Classroom teaching experience. Excellent communication skills, creativity, resourcefulness, and professional attitude. Pay rate: $13.00/hr. Application deadline: Open



If I get it and like it, I might go for a masters in MUSEUM EDUCATION. Who knows. That's about all for now. I'm really scared but excited at the same time. As usual, I hope all is well with you. Have I mentioned it's cold here? -4F today. Yikes!


Ideas, opinions, sharing welcome. I always enjoy your feedback!

No comments: