Sunday, January 3, 2010

Codependency, anyone?

(Warning: Rant Ahead)

I was watching Glee on Hulu (my favorite thing to do on a Saturday night) when I came across this song:



Don't get me wrong, I like Kelly Clarkson as much as the next person. OK, that was a lie. Actually, I don't like her at all. That's beside the point. Actually, I hate her even a little more after listening to this song. A line in the song actually states
"I know I have issues but you are pretty messed up too."
Um, if anyone actually said this to me, I'm pretty sure that would be the end of things. Ka-put. Deal breaker to end all deal breakers. Another winner lyric?
"Being with you is so dysfunctional/I really shouldn't miss you but I can't let you go."
WTF? I don't care if we belong together, if the only reason you can come up with is "well, I can't do any better than you, so I'm here because I'm lonely and desperate" then I DON'T need any of it. And neither do you. Go find something better and let me do the same. Thank you. What kind of message are we sending to girls everywhere? Kelly, I know you can do better. I may not be able to write the killer girl power song, but you've won American Idol, so you are golden. Go write something that shows that you are the strong, intelligent female I thought you were (or that I just want you to be.)
Post a Comment