Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rejection rejection oh how I love (ha!) rejection!

I need to vent for a minute.

I got a rejection letter from the Girl Scout Council here for a camp counselor position. A camp counselor position with a program I have worked with previously, in another state, for three years and left in good standing. It's a seasonal job. I wanted work for the summer that would be light, friendly, and allow me to be outdoors. I have loads of experience working with kids and all have ended positively in the last five years, minus the teaching thing, and even then, I did nothing illegal or immoral, the position just wasn't a right fit for me. I've proved myself since then.

I interviewed over the phone with the director and after that she determined that I was a good fit and said that after she received my references would invite me for a second interview.

Today, I got a rejection letter from the same woman.

It didn't say the position had been filled, but it did say that I was not a fit for their organization.

I don't get it. What gives? I thought the phone interview went well. I conveyed a lot of enthusiasm for Girl Scouts, camp, and building confidence in girls through outdoor activities and teaching, which is in a nutshell, their mission of camp.

She told me that she had all positions at camp open and that the only position she had filled was her business manager. Were my references just really bad? I don't get it.

Is this a fancy way of saying I was over-qualified? I'm crazy second-guessing myself right now, and I know I shouldn't be.

But I was really counting on this opportunity and really looking forward to it. I want to know what I did wrong. I'm frustrated.

That's all. Comments welcome.

4 comments:

The Un-Nester said...

I don't mean to sound cliche...but there has to be some unknown reason for the rejection (such a harsh word though LOL). You have done all you can do, and it seems you feel pleased with your past experience. Don't get down on yourself girl! Maybe that door closed so you can focus on something else...like gearing up for teaching abroad this fall :) Maybe use this free time to prepare!

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I agree but I think the brief should acquire more info then it has.

Valerie said...

If that's how they run themselves, you don't want to work there. Sounds almost like a confusing date with a stupid guy. I think it's a sign you should come work abroad and really leave the snow, hehe.