Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Flashback Wednesday


From the journal: July 27, 2011

I'm writing names on the board as is my daily ritual, mentally preparing myself for the morning when all of a sudden I hear "TEACHER!" I look up to see a very angry Korean kid. He squinches his nose at me and his eyes close so I can't see the whites. Standing behind the table with his hands on his hips, I realize exactly what I have done for the 47th time that year, and I immediately grab the eraser for the dry erase board. I know my mistake instantly. I look at the names and erase my cursive-style E and replace it with a printed D'nealian stlye E. My elementary teachers know what I'm talking about. Instantly, Eric sits down, still annoyed, but ready to start his English-learning day.

I honestly don't know how these kids do it everyday. Instant English immersion. Only English. Deal with me. Eric eventually grew on me. He was my strongest English brain. He caught on the quickest. Could always count on him and his pal Justin to have their hands in the air and know exactly what I am talking about. I don't know how, maybe it's just genius. Because put me in a classroom with a Korean teacher barking orders at me at age 6 and I would have run for the door and never come back. Once he got over my crazy writing and his name was printed nicely with five stars on the board everyday, he thrived. I honestly miss this kid. I wonder how he's doing now...


For a visual, Eric (English name only) is on the right. He's probably a lot bigger now.

No comments: